April 23, 2009

It's 20 seconds til the last call

I'm obsessed with this song:



(Watch it before Hulu irrationally decides to take it down.)

Still can't tell if he's lip-syncing (I tend to think the band is playing live and he's singing live over a backing track in the chorus), but it's still a monster fucking hook-filled summertime anthem. I want to say it's about Napolean but I know that's not right (they already made a song about him). They do seem to enjoy name-dropping historical figures.

I have a feeling their new album is going to be good.

Sub-question (more of an observation, really): SNL's been stepping up their musical-guest game these past two seasons. This season Fleet Foxes, YYYs, TV on the Radio, Phoenix (out of left freaking field, that one); last season might have been better: Spoon, Wilco, Vampire Weekend, My Morning Jacket. Now, if only the writing could get better and the digital short didn't carry the show...

*St. Louis University's Billiken Club somehow manages go get top quality acts to play completely free shows. I'm not bragging or anything, since I have yet to go to one of said shows - they're usually on weeknights.

It's just a nice thing to know that such a place exists.

They also have a huge book fair.

God, remind me to move back to a large city for my next job.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger M. Perkins said...

I like this a lot.

April 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM 
Blogger Tony said...

I'm obsessed with "Sometimes in the Fall" It appears often in multiple Pandora stations I've arranged.

According to this clip a whole bunch of other people have found Phoenix via Pandora. Interesting.

April 23, 2009 at 11:06 PM 
Blogger Naomi said...

Yay for book fairs! I like the song, too.

April 24, 2009 at 7:47 PM 
Blogger Daniel Silliman said...

I hate hulu and the anti-expat policy of only playing shit for people in the US.

April 25, 2009 at 4:51 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack, if it weren't for you, I'd never discover any new music.

He might be lip-syncing, but then again, these streaming videos have a lot of latency that will make it look phony.

I've been a little obsessed with The War on Drugs lately—not the losing political battle, but the band.

April 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home