February 8, 2009

Come on down

Most American cities have a street named after Thomas Jefferson. But in Springfield, Mo., he's side by side with another great American hero:



I actually got pulled over by the cops for this. Turns out police HQ is right across the street and they were suspicious:
Cop, at window: "Were you just taking pictures of headquarters?"
Me, surprised: "Huh? No, I didn't even realize they were there...I was taking a picture of the sign. Bob Barker...thought it was funny. Here, I'll show you..."
Cop, looking at pictures on camera: "Hmmm...you're not from around here, are you?"
Me, explaining all the kids in spandex he's undoubtedly seeing: "No. I was at a wrestling tournament. I work for a newspaper in Waynesville. Sportswriter."
Cop, bemused, handing camera back: "I see...well, you can go, we just wanted to make sure..."

He eyed me all the way back to his patrol car.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Silliman said...

Of course, it's complete legal to take pictures of police stations. (We like to call it the first amendment.)

February 9, 2009 at 4:51 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is worth reading at least once a day until you've got it memorized:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Stuff like that is why I carry a camera and voice recorder in my car at all times.

February 9, 2009 at 9:42 AM 
Blogger Maria Servold said...

haha, that's great. (the signs and the story, that is).

February 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM 
Blogger SC said...

Econ's link touches on the military restrictions, and it's true. Whenever I visit my dad at work (he works in the STRATCOM building at Offut AFB, NE) the guards at the front door confiscate my cell phone because it has a camera. And any time a civilian walks into a room, everyone turns off their monitors, just in case you have a hidden camera, a la "Mission: Impossible."

February 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM 
Blogger JHitts said...

Yeah, I figured as much, only I wasn't fixing to get into a high-speed police chase in downtown Springfield, so I pulled over just top be safe.

February 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM 
Blogger K. Janke said...

So moral of the story: We tend to think cops are every bit as suspicious as they think we are.
"Sometimes I don't speak bright, alright/
But yet I know what I'm talking about/
Why can't we be friends?/
Why can't we be friends?/
Why can't we be friends?/
Why can't we be friends?"

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home